Northern Maine Medical Center
is a modern, fully accredited, 49-bed acute care facility
offering complete obstetric, surgical, psychiatric,
pediatric, and general medical services. Northern
Maine Medical Center also provides a state-of-the-art
equipped 4-bed Special Care Unit for critically ill
Although currently known as Northern Maine
Medical Center, the hospital was formerly called Peoples
Benevolent Hospital. The first section was opened
in 1952 with an addition in 1971. The dedicated Catholic
Order of Sisters, "Les Petites Franciscaines de
managed the hospital from its inception
to 1975 when it became a public community hospital.
Ultimately, Northern Maine Medical Center belongs
to the 15,000 people in the hospital's service area
, the Upper St. John Valley and neighboring communities.
Acting on their behalf, the hospital is guided by
a Board of Trustees who represent these health care
The Medical Staff of Northern Maine Medical Center
is highly competent and qualified. Most are board
certified in their specialty.
Forty doctors are affiliated with the hospital. This
professional pool of physicians contributes to the
broad number of specialty clinics which are offered
on a scheduled basis.