A History of Northern
Maine Medical Center
When Monsignor Aime Giguere arrived
in Fort Kent in 1934, he was already familiar with the
people of Aroostook County. From the time of his first
pastorate, in Limestone in 1921, he had been committed
to improving the quality of care available in the County.
Soon after his arrival in the St. John Valley, he began
working to meet the pressing health care needs of the
people around him. His plans for a hospital to be located
in Fort Kent, began modestly. He hoped to build a twenty
bed maternity hospital at the corner of Main and Pleasant
Streets. The plans grew, however, and by the time of
ground breaking on September 11, 1950, there was to
be a modern 66 bed acute care hospital. On September
21, 1952, Peoples Benevolent Hospital opened its doors.
For the next twenty three years the hospital was run
by Les Petites Franciscaine de Marie, a Catholic order
of nuns with special skills in hospital management.
Then, in 1975, Peoples Benevolent Hospital became a
public community hospital and changed its name to Northern
Maine Medical Center. For over forty years, Northern
Maine Medical Center has provided high quality medical
care to the citizens of the St. John Valley. NMMC, through
a tradition of community outreach and excellence in
health care, has fulfilled Monsignor Giguere's commitment.
With his dreams as a guide, the hospital has continued
to expand its programs and services over the years.
Northern Maine Medical Center
currently offers a wide range of medical, surgical,
pediatric, and obstetric services to residents of
the St. John Valley.