When Monsignor Aime Giguere arrived in Fort Kent in 1934, he was already familiar with the people of Aroostook County. From the time of his first pastorate, in Limestone in 1921, he had been committed to improving the quality of care available in the County. So after his arrival in the St. John Valley, he began working to meet the pressing health care needs of the people around him. His plans for a hospital to be located in Fort Kent began modestly. He hoped to build a twenty bed maternity hospital at the corner of Main and Pleasant Streets. The plans grew, however, and by the time of ground breaking on September 11, 1950, there was to be a modern 66 bed acute care hospital. On September 21, 1952, Peoples Benevolent Hospital opened its doors. For the next twenty three years the hospital was run by Les Petites Franciscan de Marie, a Catholic order of nuns with special skills in hospital management. Then, in 1975, Peoples Benevolent Hospital became a public community hospital and changed its name to Northern Maine Medical Center. For over forty years, Northern Maine Medical Center has provided high quality medical care to the citizens of the St. John Valley. NMMC, through a tradition of community outreach and excellence in health care, has fulfilled Monsignor Giguere’s commitment. With his dreams as a guide, the hospital has continued to expand its programs and services over the years.
Northern Maine Medical Center currently offers a wide range of medical, surgical, pediatric and obstetric services to the residents of the St. John Valley.