Welcome to Northern Maine Medical Center’s Obstetric Department where we are dedicated to serving the needs of mothers, babies, and their families! We provide services to pregnant and birthing mothers as well as nursery and postpartum care. Our department is staffed by registered nurses certified in neonatal resuscitation and our physician and surgical team is on call 24 hours a day.
The Obstetric Department at NMMC has two birthing rooms and a whirlpool tub for laboring. We also have three postpartum rooms, two of which have queen size beds to accommodate fathers who wish to stay at the hospital. All rooms are private. We encourage babies to room in with parents but also have a newborn nursery if mom needs to rest. Our nurses are trained to assist with breastfeeding and we work with certified lactation counselors who are available to visit patients in the hospital. We offer a comfortable, home-like atmosphere while providing highly skilled medical care. We honor patient preferences whenever possible and work closely with patients in order to achieve the best possible birth experience. Our nursing staff and obstetrical providers consistently earns high scores in patient satisfaction surveys, demonstrating our commitment to providing high quality, personalized care to individuals and families.
Additionally, we offer a range of services to meet our patients’ needs, including:
- Anesthesia services are available on-call 24 hours a day and offer epidural and intrathecal anesthesia to laboring moms.
- We offer non-pharmacologic pain relief methods including the labor tub, birthing balls, music and movement.
- C-section moms have the option of a postpartum suite with adjustable hospital bed and large comfortable couch and recliner for dad.
- “On-Call Dining” is available to meet your needs when it is convenient for you. Also, all patients are honored with a “Celebration Meal”, a private meal for two from a special menu complete with sparkling juice and choice of a scrumptious dessert.
- Childbirth classes are offered every other month free of charge.
- A free home visit by an obstetric nurse is offered 24-72 hours following discharge, as well as referrals to the Maine Public Health Nurse as appropriate.
Taking care of mothers and their newborns, treating your family member like a member of our family, is what we do best. When you’re ready to start or expand your family, we’ll be here for you!